Under 13s Sunday 

Thursday 1st April 2010  v  Blue Star Colts  Home  K.O. 6.15pm  @ memorial park
Great Harwood continue their winning run with a hard-fought 5-2 victory over a talented Blue Star side and get revenge for a 3-2 reverse earlier in the season. The lads started brightly and some early pressure was rewarded with a clever back header from leading scorer Karl Sutton. Dominic O’Brien and Jack Hargreaves bossed the middle of the pitch for the early exchanges but after 10 minutes Blue Star found their feet and began to put Great Harwood’s defence under severe pressure. A poor pass in a dangerous area let in a Blue Star forward who confidently fired home for the equaliser.
Earlier in the season, the lads would have crumbled at this point but instead they got the bits between their teeth and surged forward and were rewarded by another typical Sutton goal as he put both central defenders under pressure and found the ball at his feet and he lifted it over the stranded keeper. A third goal soon followed after more pressuring tactics and Karl Sutton slotted home for his well-deserved hat-trick. The fourth goal was the pick of the bunch; Danny Smith stopped a Blue Star attack and played the ball down the right wing for Joe Blackledge to beat the full back and spray the ball across the pitch to captain Jack Hargreaves. He held the ball well and slipped a very intelligent, cool pass between two defenders for George Carter to run onto and finish with a first time shot into the roof of the net. Counter attacking at it’s best – from a defensive position to a goal in around 10 seconds thanks to slick, accurate passing. Great Harwood go into half-time 4-1 up full of confidence. The second half was going to be a tough time for the lads, who were playing against the slope and the Blue Star lads had shown some quality passing in the first half without much reward. As expected, Blue Star came out guns blazing after a severe dressing down by their managers and had several good chances to get back into the game. However the back four held well and continually cleared any danger including one brilliant save by keeper Tommy Achaski scooping the ball clear when the opponent had a clear shot of the full goal. Save of the Season! Great Harwood came through this onslaught unscathed and found their feet as the second half developed into a good end-to-end game. A quick counter-attack led to the fifth goal where Arron Phillipson got through on goal directly from a Scott Sykes pass. He rounded the on-rushing keeper in a wide position on the right and clipped the ball onto the bar and it rebounded to George Carter whose quick reactions saw him head it goalwards and bounce off the bar once more, but luckily dropping to Arron Phillipson to side foot home. Blue Star scored a late consolation to make it 5-2 at full time. There were lots of positives in all areas of the pitch today and Great Harwood were by far the better side, creating more chances and once again playing some breathtaking football that belies their young age. Karl Sutton scored another hat-trick, Jordon Edmondson was tackling well and the opponents chose Scott Sykes as Man-of-the-Match. All in all, a great TEAM performance. Every player did well and that’s what is needed every week to succeed at this high level. Well done lads! Keep it up! Final Score  Great Harwood Rovers  5    Blue Star   2 Man of the Match   Scott  Sykes


Sunday 21st March 2010 Home @ Memorial Park v  Ossy Rangers K.O.11 am
Great Harwood got back to winning ways with an emphatic double figure victory against Oswaldtwistle Rangers.

The lads started confidently and were a goal up inside the first 2 minutes. A pinpoint corner from Billy Hargreaves was met by Ryan Mitchell who rose salmon-like to head home. A second goal soon followed as George Carter finished off a fine move down the left hand side with a left foot strike. Great Harwood pressed for more goals and Manager Nigel Sutton changed to a more attacking 3-4-3 formation and their dominance soon paid off. Danny Smith scored the third after another good move down the left which resulted in him finding space in the middle of the box to side foot into the roof of the net. Karl Sutton showed how much the team missed him last week by scoring the fourth with a typical poacher’s finish. An own goal from a fine Smith cross made it 5-0 at half-time and the lads went into the break in high spirits.
The second half saw more good football being played by the home side and there were several breathtaking moves involving the front three of Karl Sutton, Arron Phillipson and Joe Blackledge. The sixth goal came from a goalmouth scramble which the away team couldn’t clear; Danny Smith tapping in on the far post for his second of the game. Two well taken goals from left winger Arron Phillipson soon made in 8-0 and the lads were coasting. Joe Blackledge and captain Jack Hargreaves sealed the well earned victory as they reached the magical double figure score.
Returning striker Karl Sutton was deservedly awarded Man of the Match and all the lads can go into the next game brimming with confidence
Final Score  Great Harwood Rovers  10   Oswaldtwistle Rangers 0
Man of the Match Karl Sutton


Sunday 14th March 2010 Away @ Blacksnape v Crown Paints Gold K.O. 2.00pm
An under-strength Great Harwood side suffered their biggest defeat of the season against league title contenders Crown Paints Gold.
With both key strikers and centre back missing through injury and illness, Great Harwood were beaten 5-0 to a strong side on a bouncy pitch in windy conditions. George Carter made a great start to the game wide on the left and continually caused problems for the home side. Crown Paints’ strength and determination came through and they quickly went into a 2-0 lead thanks to a goalmouth scrambe and then a vicious unstoppable shot. The lads fought well for the rest of the half and went in at half-time 2-0 down.
Jack Hargreaves and Dominic O’Brien had strong games in midfield but were overrun by a strong Crown side that have yet to lose this season, and have only dropped points to Huncoat and Great Harwood in September.
A few of the lads’ spirits wained in the second half and the animated crowd and management tried to spur the lads on to getting back in the game. A third goal from a well worked move killed the game off early in the second half and a fourth followed from a corner. Some good defending by Danny Smith cleared the ball twice off the line and they hit the post twice late on before a thunderous shot made it five with only a couple of minutes to go.
To Great Harwood’s credit they battled until the last kick of the game but were out-fought and out-played by a bigger and stronger team. It shows the amount of work the lads need to put in at training and during games to get to this standard. Man of the Match was Danny Smith and there were strong performances from captain Jack Hargreaves and Dominic O’Brien, also sub Jordan Edmondson worked his socks off when intruduced at half time.
Next week sees the lads at home to bottom side Oswaldwistle Rangers who have yet to score a point so should be the ideal opportunity to get confidence back and return to winning ways.
Come on lads!
Final Score Crown Paints  5  Great Harwood Rovers  0
Man of the Match  Danny Smith


Sunday 28th Feb 2010  Great Harwood Rovers  v  Crown Paints Black  Away @ Blacksnape K.O. 2.00pm.  

Great Harwood went down 4-0 on a heavy pitch at Blacksnape Playing Fields against a physical Crown Paints Black team.

The first half started brightly for both sides with some exciting end-to-end football and it was Reagan Bolton who almost shot Great Harwood ahead after some fine interchange play – the ball going agonisingly wide of the far post. 5 minutes later Crown Paints had a good spell of pressure and scored from a corner; an impressive overhead kick into the danger area and bundled over the line by a more determined opponent than our entire defence. Great Harwood immediately went on the attack to get back into the game but without success due to some poor finishing and not taking opportunities to shoot on goal. Right on the stroke of half time a Crown Paint wayward cross luckily went in off the far post when it could have gone absolutely anywhere, to put them 2-0 up. Another example of the Great Harwood defence switching off right at the end of a half or the end of the match. A good first half performance by the lads which had the management team wondering how we were 2 goals down when we had the most of the play.

However, instead of going out confidently at the start of the second half and trying to get back in the game, Rovers seemed lacking in enthusiasm and desire and allowed Crown Paints to dominate the game. The defence and midfield played far too deep and this encouraged Crown to play higher up the field and attack with regular menace. The Crown defence was rarely tested in the second half and 2 more goals were scored but it could have been more. Crown running out 4-0 winners with frustrating comfort.

Man of the Match Danny Smith had a good game at right back and Dominic O’Brien battled well in a very physical tussle in the centre of midfield but unfortunately not a lot else to applaud came from the other lads. We need to play with confidence, we need to shoot on goal more and we need to pass the ball around better. When we do all 3 of these things we normally win quite comfortably as was shown particularly in pre-season.

Crown Paints Black  4    Great Harwood   0

Man of the Match  Daniel Smith


Sunday 14th Feb 2010  v    Blue Star Aces  @  Branch Rd, Darwen.  K.O.  12.00am
Great Harwood reach the quarter final of the East Lancashire Football Alliance Cup with an emphatic win over a good Blue Star side. With only one defeat all season, Blue Star looked a potential banana skin in the cup competition and Great Harwood’s recent run of bad results meant that the lads had to be ready and able to get through to the last 16. Great Harwood started brightly and played some excellent football but it was Blue Star who nearly scored the first goal. Keeper Tommy Achaski was alert and came out bravely to smother the ball well. Great Harwood built on this shaky moment and started to pass the ball around well and looked more confident as the game developed. After 15 minutes Arron Phillipson was put through by a clever ball from Dominic O’Brien and Arron struck the ball into the roof of the net. The lads then had a strong 10 minutes and Blue Star’s big keeper made a string of fine saves. Half time – one up.Last week’s defeat after being ahead was still felt by the lads and it was clear they needed another couple of goals to win the game. The second half saw some superb football being played from all over the pitch. It was a pleasure to watch. The second goal was created wide on the left by Arron Phillipson and George Carter completed the move with a cool finish. More Great Harwood pressure followed and they had several chances to increase the lead further but Blue Star’s keeper again came to their rescue and set up counter attacks with big kicks upfield which were handled well by the back line of Danny Smith, Billy Hargreaves, Scott Sykes and Bradley Allen. A brilliantly delivered Scott Sykes corner set up Arron Phillipson for his second goal with a bullet header and the game was almost over as a contest as Blue Star’s confidence left them. They hadn’t conceded a goal in their last few matches so this would have been difficult to take. Some good passing and movement by Dominic O’Brien and Ryan Mitchell in the middle of the pitch set up the fourth and best goal of the game; Dominic O’Brien letting fly from 25 yards into the top corner. A well deserved win for the lads this week and some exceptional football which really was a pleasure to watch. They are safely into the hat for the last 16 and if they continue to play like they did today they won’t fear who they’ll draw in the next round. Well done lads!
Final Score Blue Star Aces  0    Great Harwood Rovers   4
Man of the Match   George  Carter


Sunday 7th Feb 2010  v  Blue Star Colts K.O. 12.00am @ Branch Rd, Darwen
Great Harwood went down to a cruel last kick of the game goal after leading 2-0 at half-time.

The lads started brightly and dominated the early part of the game scoring twice in the first half through leading scorer Karl Sutton and captain Jack Hargreaves.  Following last week’s disappointing display, manager Nigel Sutton swapped both centre backs and central midfield positions around which proved to be a good decision as Jack and Dominic had good solid performances in the middle of the pitch.
The second half saw Blue Star make a couple of enforced changes and their impressive central defender moved up into midfield and the left winger moved out to the right side and continually cut inside effectively. Two well taken goals drew the Colts level and a last gasp effort by their winger saw them win the game with the last kick of the match.
A very cruel end to a very good game which Great Harwood did not deserve to lose. Man of the match was George Carter who played his best game of the season on the left side of midfield and was a constant attacking thorn.
The lads now go into the League Cup next week against Blue Star’s other side – the Aces – who are currently second in their division winning 8 out of 10 games and have only been beaten once this season. With the same determination and effort they showed this week Great Harwood will hope to put this game behind them and get back to winning ways.
Well done to all the lads – heads up and lets get through to the next round of the cup!
Final Score  Blue Star Colts  3    Great Harwood Rovers  2
Man Of The Match  George Carter


Sunday 25th Jan 2010  Home v  Haslingdon Jnrs  Memorial Park  K.O.  2.00pm.
The first game of 2010 ended with a disappointing defeat for the lads.

A combination of rustiness and the loss of two key players including the goalkeeper meant that Great Harwood suffered their biggest defeat of the season. Only Karl Sutton, Dominic O’Brien and Danny Smith played somewhere near average, but the team in its entirity looked tired and played with little confidence. No doubt they will be raring to go next week to put this defeat behind them and get back to playing exciting football and winning!

Come on lads!
Final Score Great Harwood Rovers  0   Haslingdon Jnrs  4
Man of the Match   Karl Sutton


Sunday 6th December 2009  V   Ossy Rangers  Away   Memorial Park  K.O. 2.00pm
Having not played a game for 3 weeks it didnt show ,as Gt Harwood got to grips and scored early on, a sweeping move down the left hand side and a great cross by Arron Phillipson which was knocked in at the back post by the outstretched Karl Sutton 0-1,  within 10 mins Gt Harwood got a 2nd, the dangerous Reagan Bolton getting on the end of another Phillipson cross 0-2,  Ossy were on the back foot and couldnt get hold of the ball Gt Harwood were to strong and on 30 mins they grabbed another goal a great corner from Scott Sykes was headed well by Karl Sutton 0-3. Half time.
2nd Half  Ossy were pinned in there own half for the rest of the game and how it wasnt double figures is beyond me, man of the match Jake Smith should have had at least 5, however Raegan Bolton smashed the ball from short range to grab his 2nd , 0-4. some good work by Daniel Smith slipping and skipping 2 players and pushing the ball to Jake Smith who was bundled over in the box,(Penalty), up stepped captain Jack Hargreaves to cooly slot the ball home, 0-5.  Quite a few chances went begging but Karl Sutton wasnt to be denied his hatrick smashing the ball from close range and putting a huge smile on his dads face. 0-6. Final Score Ossy Rangers 0  Great Harwood Rovers  6 Man of the Match  Jake Smith
Sunday 25th Oct 09   v   Whalley Jnrs  @  Memorial Park  K.O. 11.00am
Great Harwood were dumped on the slope pitch by the council for this game which didnt make a good account of the 2 teams, however kicking up hill and against a really strong wind Gt Harwood defended in numbers, Dominic O'Brien was outstandind the whole game, Harwood broke when they had the chance Reagan bolton and George Carter coming close on a few occasions, whalley grabbed a scrappy goal just before half time,0 - 1.  Second Gt Harwood kicking down hill were on top but were just humping the ball forward, not pretty, Whalley increased there lead with a quick counter attack 0 - 2,  Gt Harwood got back into the game with flucky goal Scott Sykes humping the ball and it bounced over the keepers head 1 - 2, Once again Whalley  scored on the counter attack 1 - 3, Last 15 mins Gt Harwood went 3 - 4 - 3 and it payed off Scott Sykes getting his 2nd, turning and shooting in the bottom corner 2 - 3. Harwood ran pushed for an equaliser but ran out of time. Final Score  Great Harwood Rovers 3   Whalley Jnrs 2. Man of the Match Dominic O'Brien.

Sunday 11th Oct 2009 Home @ Memorial Park K.O. 11.00am. Great Harwood Rovers  v   Langho Jnrs

Once again Great Harwood started a game very slowly and were a goal down before they started playing but left winger Arron Phillipson and right winger Danny Smith were both bright coming close twice, having said that it wasn't till the 2nd half that Harwood turned it on. A quality corner by Gt Harwoods Scott Sykes was equally well taken at the back post by captain Jack Hargreaves 1 - 1, more pressure by Harwood payed off when Karl Sutton ran on to a bouncing loose ball in the box jumped to head the ball and was kicked full in the face by the Langho centre back. "Penalty". Which was well taken by Jack Hargreaves slotting in the bottom corner, 2 - 1.   A now more relaxed Gt Harwood put Langho to sword and should have had a bag full but only managed 1 more and it was the goal of the game, an inside ball by Billy Hargreaves to Charlie Feeney onto Raegan Bolton who cracked a shot from 25 yards into the right corner 3 - 1. Final Score  Great Harwood Rovers  3   Langho Jnrs 1. Man of the Match  Tommy Achaski   


Sunday 20th Sept @  Home, Memorial Park, Great Harwood Rovers  vrs Crown Paints Gold  K.O. 11.00am
Great Harwood Rovers were playing a strong top of the league Crown Paints side, but on the back of 2 good results in the lfa and the lge they were showing no fear and they were very much up for it, Gt Harwood were in Crowns faces from the off and Crown didn't like it, End to end in the 1st 15 minutes, Karl Sutton broke free with pace rode 1 strong challenge and then was chopped down in the box, "Penalty", up stepped captain Jack Hargreaves to coolly side foot in the net 1 - 0, Crown replied straight away from a corner 1 - 1,  some good saves by crowns keeper from Raegan Bolton and Charlie Feeney, great work down the left by Arron Phillipson played a 1-2 with Bolton and slotted the ball past the keeper, 2 - 1, again Crown got a goal back from his only mistake of the game by the Gt Harwood keeper, 2 - 2, Gt Harwood struggling with the height of the Crown team, but were superior at the passing game, good work again by the impressive Arron Phillipson who rode a challenge looked like crossing it but decided to smash it across the keeper into the bottom corner, "Great Goal", 3 - 2. Half-Time. Second Half it was counter attack after counter attack from both teams, Crown finally getting an equaliser again from a corner 3 - 3, Gt Harwood felt hard done by and the introduction of subs Jordan Edmondson, Jake Smith and George Carter made a difference chance after chance went begging ,Karl Sutton working hard and nearly getting his reward, one on one with Crowns keeper Sutty lobbed him only for the ball to hit the cross bar bounce back falling to his left foot, shoots only for crowns keeper and defender to clear off the line. Off the resulting corner whipped in by Scott Sykes it was cracking headed goal by captain marvel Jack Hargraeves 4 - 3. If this result stayed the same it was fair but football is cruel and Crown scored an equaliser again from a corner 4 - 4. what a game for the neutral. Final Score Great Harwood Rovers  4   Crown Paints Gold  4. Man of the Match  Tommy Achaski


Sunday 13th Sept 09 Home vrs Brierfield Celtic Memorial Park K.O. 11.00am LFA CUP ROUND 1
Great Harwood Rovers needed to be at there best in this cup tie against the Warburtons league Champions of Burnley, Both teams started off a bit slow but it was Gt Harwood Rovers who broke the deadline, a quality corner from Scott Sykes and striker Raegan Bolton musculed his way in to volley the ball in the back of the net 1 - 0, Gt Harwood were using the ball well, Midfielder Arron Phillipson put a quality through ball into the path of Karl Sutton who cooly slotted the ball home 2 - 0, The Brierfield strikers caused us problems all day, but our back 4 were solid especially Domonic O'Brien, Just before half time Brierfield striker hit a great shot to which Harwoods keeper Tommy Achaski equally saved but it fell to the same striker who scored from close range 2 -1. Half time.
Second Half it was to tight to call with both teams having 2-3 chances but it was Gt Harwood who exended there lead with substitute George Carter powering his way through should have had a penalty but with honesty stayed on his feet to smash the ball home 3 - 1, Gt Harwood had a bit of breathing space now and were keeping the ball well, but they must have relaxed to much as Breirfield managed to get a goal from nothing with mistake from Harwoods keeper, 3 - 2, it was nervy for the next couple of minutes but they got there composure back and so the game out, a hard fought contest, well done again lads.
Final Score Great Harwood Rovers  3     Brierfield Celtic  2
Man of the Match Karl Sutton

Tuesday  8th Sept 09  Away @ Pleckgate vrs Mill Hill  K.O 6.15pm.

Great Harwood Rovers needed to get back to winning ways against a good Mill Hill side, and they did just that with an emphatic 4 - 0 win.
1st Half, It was scrappy for the first 10 mins then Gt Harwood took charge of the game, a flowing move grom Gt Harwood started by Scott Sykes pushing it wide to Arron Phillipson through to Jake Smith then a forward pass into the path of Karl Sutton who rounded the keeper to score a good team goal, 0 - 1, Gt Harwoods passing and movement was exellent and they should of had a couple more, but for the saves of the Mill Hill keeper. Half-Time.
2nd Half, Gt Harwwod had the wind behind them, they passed and moved the ball well and quickly Mill Hill were just chasing shadows at times, a corner to Gt Harwood Rovers was pushed away and fell to Scott Sykes who cooly slotted the ball home 0 - 2,
Mill Hill kept trying to hit Gt Harwood on the break, but Gt Harwoods Defence was solid all the game with a special mention to Dominic O'Brien,Bradley Allen and Ryan Michell. Gt Harwood pressed again, a sramble in the box the ball fell to striker Karl Sutton who turned with the right onto his left foot and smashed the ball into the net 0 - 3, it wa all Gt Harwood Rovers, 2-3 more chances went begging before the goal of the game was perfectly set and it was Bradley Allen score it, picking up the ball from 35 yards and smacking a thunderbolt into the top corner.'JAW-DROPPER'. 0 - 4. Great Harwood deserved everthing they got, they were outstanding. Well done Lads.
Final Score  Mill Hill  0   Great Harwood Rovers  4
Man of the Match  Karl Sutton

Sunday 6th Sept 09   vrs  Whalley Jnrs Away  K.O. 11.00am

Great Harwood Rovers 1st game of the season started very poorly, The 1st half wasn't good from Gt Harwood, no passing and loosing out on every 50/50 challenge, Whalley took full advantage scoring 2 goals both mistakes from Gt Harwoods defenders and then a 3rd from a bad mistake by Gt Harwood keeper Tommy achaski who ended up having a great game after that. Changes had to be made early and the 2 subs made an instant impact Gt Harwood getting a goal back from Karl Sutton and then a second goal a cracking free kick from arron phillipson, half time.  The second half Gt Harwood were much better and battled to get the equaliser which they grabbed in the last 10 mins with persistant work and good finish by George Carter, just when you thought it was looking like a draw Gt Harwood switched off and let Whalley score the winner.
Final Score  Whalley Jnrs 4  Great Harwood Rovers 3
Man of the Match  Karl Sutton