Under 10s


v Blackburn Utd 05/04/09


GHR went into their final game of the season against an in form Blackburn Utd needing 3 points to win the title outright. The early parts of the game were very even with defences on top, the first real chance fell to GHR forward Harry Swiatczak who shot wide when clean through with only the keeper to beat. Midfielder Nathan Cox had an effort superbly saved by the Utd keeper as GHR pushed for the goal they so badly needed. Utd were giving a very good account of themselves and were proving to be a tough nut to crack. Territorially GHR had the upper hand but Utd. were looking very dangerous on the break.

        The second half began with GHR well on top, a Cox shot flew just over the bar as the pressure mounted, but the Utd. defence were holding firm. GHR threw eveything forward in the last quarter of the game in an attempt to score the vital goal, a couple of clear cut chances were missed at the back post, the keeper superbly tipped an effort onto the crossbar, another effort from Cox hit the bar. But you just got the feeling that no matter how hard the lads tried it just was not to be our day. As a team we have missed a lot of chances in front of goal this season, today it proved to be crucial. The lads gave it everything but were to be denied the victory by a good Blackburn side. So the title went to rivals Huncoat who rounded off their season with an 8-0 win over Belthorn, congratulations to them. A fine effort by GHR, we missed out by one point but to finish as runners up is a fine achievement, well done lads we are proud of you. Nathan Cox was named as man of the match.


v Darwen Rangers home 29/03/09


GHR went into this game knowing that wins in this and their last game would clinch them the league title. It was a very edgy start from GHR, with so much at stake the lads seemed very edgy and seeming to lack their normal confidence. There were a couple of moves down the left involving Nathan Cox but both ended with shots off target. Darwen were rising to the challenge and settling into the game making it very even. To address this manager Joe Swiatczak made a tactical switch moving Callum Donohue out from the back into central midfield. This nearly had an immediate impact as a tackle was won and Zac Geldard was put through one on one with the keeper but dragged his shot wide, another fine run from Cox led to a cross with two players just failing to connect as the ball came across. But as the half time whistle went the was score still 0-0 leaving GHR with still a lot to do.

      The half time team talk seemed to work and we were straight onto the front foot. Joel Davies was as they say running his socks off and had an effort which struck the foot of the post. The vital breakthrough was made when a corner was floated in from the left, it fell kindly for Nathan Cox who turned and struck the ball firmly into the net. A second nearly followed when Callum Donohue had an attempt superbly saved by the goalkeeper's feet. GHR were on top and needed that second goal which their approach play deserved, at 1-0 Darwen were still in the game and as they threw men forward late on in search of an equaliser GHR had at least three breakaways where they should have scored to wrap up the points. GHR defended well for the last few minutes to win the game 1-0 and take the vital three points which keeps us on course for the league title. Nerves obviously affected the team today, that combined with a good display from Darwen made the game closer than it should have been. So it is all down to the last game against third placed Blackburn United when we will have to produce a better performance to get the win we need to clinch the title, come on boys we are all behind you. You can do it. Callum Donohue was named as man of the match.




v Huncoat Badgers 15/03/09.Memorial Park. 

With just three games to go this clash of the league's top two would go a long way to deciding who would end up as champions.GHR were one point ahead of undefeated Huncoat as the game kicked off.

Huncoat needed to win the game to be in control of their own destiny and were soon on the attack with their crisp passing football.GHR had to hold firm in the early part of the game,but just as it looked like they had weathered the storm Huncoat took the lead when a long ball left a Huncoat forward one on one with keeper Dec Dodgeon the ball bounced kindly for the attacker who rolled the ball into an empty net.

GHR hit back when a corner to the back post was headed by Zac Geldard,then a Callum Donohue free kick from long range whistled over the crossbar.The game was really warming up now and Huncoat were unlucky when  another one on one ended with the forward missing out when the ball bounced awkwardly.A Huncoat free kick went just wide as they ended the half on top after forcing a series of corners.

The half time break gave GHR the chance to regroup and they started the second half by taking the game to Huncoat.The GHR midfield was now winning tackles all across the park and closing down Huncoat at every opportunity.The defence looked more confident as GHR started to get on top.Surely the equaliser would come and when Zac Geldard set Nathan Cox up he made no mistake as he fired home from just inside the box.It was anyone's game now GHR keeper Dodgeon saved well at the second attempt from a header just two yards out as Huncoat piled forward looking for the winner.But GHR were determined to hang on to their well deserved point and played out the remaining time looking and playing like the well organised team that they have been all season.All the boys deserve credit for the way they came back in the second half to get the result that leaves them 2 wins away from the title.Striker Zac Geldard was named as man of the match.

V Belthorn home 08/03/09

GHR under 10s guaranteed at least a second place finish with a 3-1 home win over a stubborn Belthorn side.The game was given the go ahead at the last minute after some emergency repair work to one of the goalmouths.A fierce wind was blowing across the pitch as the game kicked off.GHR soon had the Belthorn defence at full stretch but found their keeper in great form.GHR took the lead when fine work out wide by Nathan Cox saw striker Zac Geldard score with a good finish into the top corner.A corner by Callum Donohue appeared to cross the line but the referee was unsighted.Belthorn had one chance on the break which was well blocked by keeper Dec Dodgeon,leaving the half time score 1-0.GHR continued to press in the second half and forced several corners as they searched for further goals.The midfield trio were now beginning to open up the visitors defence and a second goal followed when the ball was kept in on the left hand side and worked across for Cameron Grice to score from close range.A third soon followed when a short throw routine by Cal Donohue and Blake Barrett led to Donohue crossing for Grice to bang home his second with a first time shot from close range.This goal showed what the boys are capable of when they are in the mood.Belthorn pulled back a late goal with a fine individual effort as GHR had pushed men forward in search of more goals but were continually thwarted by the Belthorn keeper who was having a great game.A special mention for squad members Joel Davies and Stevie Horrocks who both played well as we build up to nine a side next season.We need to avoid defeat against our main rivals Huncoat to have a realistic chance of being crowned champions,that's our next game,come on lads you can do it.Blake Barrett was named man of the match.

v Blackburn Eagles home 01/03/09

This game against Blackburn Eagles was GHR's game in hand over leaders Huncoat.A win would give us a one point lead at the top with four games to play.GHR had their usual cagey first five minutes before getting into their stride and passing the ball around.A Callum Donohue free kick was punched out from under the bar by the Eagles keeper.A move down the left hand side led to the first goal when a cross from recalled Callum Hesketh was turned in by Zac Geldard.A second quickly followed when Nathan Cox produced a fine finish into the corner from the edge of the box.Another Donohue free kick from outside of the box hit the crossbar,GHR were now in full cry working the ball from defence to attack at will,the only thing missing was the ability to convert the chances created into goals.On a rare excursion into our half the Eagles forced a corner and when GHR failed to close down on the edge of the box an Eagles forward made it 2-1.This stung GHR into action and they threw everything forward,The Eagles keeper was having a fine game making several important saves.GHR needed a third goal and striker Zac Geldard obliged when he forced home from close range following more pressure to make the half time score 3-1.

The second half was played almost entirely in the Eagles half apart from a five minute spell of Eagles pressure when they tried hard to pull a goal back.Despite some decent football and constant pressure GHR could not add any further goals.Once again there were some good performances with apart from the Eagles goal the keeper and defence looking comfortable,at times the ball was played about in midfield with a lot of confidence.We need to be looking at our movement off the ball and that final pass or cross into the box.If we can improve in these areas and take more of the chances that are being created we can finish in the top two and be promoted.Callum Hesketh was named as man of the match.

v Huncoat Allstars 22/2/09

The game against Huncoat Allstars was the first of a run of six home games which hopefully will end in promotion for GHR under 10s and a return to the red league next season.After a fairly cagey start GHR got into gear and started to play the type of passing football they are capable of.A quick one two between midfielders Cameron Grice and Callum Donohue led to a cross which Nathan Cox converted at the front post.A second quickly followed when striker Harry Swiatczak held off two challenges and produced a cool finish to beat the keeper.GHR were flying now and playing some flowing football.When Callum Donohue hammered a third passed the shellshocked Huncoat keeper following good link up play with fellow midfielders Cox and Grice a rout looked on the cards.GHR made a couple of substitutions late in the first half,this coupled with the half time whistle allowed The Allstars to regroup and get a foothold in the game.The first ten minutes of the second half were more even and when the GHR defence failed to deal with a cross The Allstars made it 3-1.GHR were still creating chances but failing to take them.Manager Joe Swiatczak made a triple substitution with 10 minutes to go,the fresh legs made a difference and Cameron Grice scored to make it 4-1 after the keeper parried out yet another GHR effort.That was to be the final score,well done lads another 3 points.5 games to go,sooner or later the chances will be taken and someone could be in for a real hammering.Callum Donohue was named as man of the match.  

v Blackburn United away 15/02/09

This away game against Blackburn United was crucial as the season entered its final third.GHR are handily placed in second place as the battle for the title hots up.The Blackburn side began well and soon had the GHR defence under pressure forcing a series of corners.The GHR midfield slowly got a grip and began to force United back.A strong run by Callum Donohue forced a corner,resulting in the opening goal,the ball was loose in the six yard box and Callum Donohue scored from close range.A second soon followed when again from close range substitute Zac Geldard scored following a throw in.The score remained the same as the half time whistle blew with GHR on top.The second half began with United on top,keeper Dec Dodgeon saved well to his left hand side as the Blackburn side tried to get back in the game.But as the game progressed GHR were growing in confidence and when Zac Geldard scored a third the points were in the bag.Cameron Grice hit the bar with a fine effort and after a sweeping move an audacious attempt by Joel Davies hit the post.A deserved fourth followed when Cameron Grice scored following further GHR pressure to leave the final score 4-0.This performance was as good as any this season and if this standard is maintained the lads will have a good chance of promotion at the end of the season.Skipper Blake Barrett was named as man of the match.

v Mellor away 01/02/09

The game was played in arctic conditions at Mellor's Whinney Lane ground the pitch was semi frozen and a bitter cold wind was blowing.GHR were soon on the attack as they looked to get back to winning ways after some indifferent results.As in the game which was played earlier in the season they found the Mellor keeper in great form stopping everything that GHR could throw at him.GHR had several corners but the Mellor defence stood firm.By the end of the first half which remained goalless frustration was setting in.A tactical substitution was made at half time bringing last season's leading scorer Zac Geldard into the game.At last GHR had a threat in the six yard box and when there was slight hesitation between defender and goalkeeper Geldard nipped in to force home from close range.Mellor would have equalised on one of their rare attacks but for a superb stop by keeper Dec Dodgeon.A second shortly followed when a Callum Hesketh shot from outside the box hit the bar and rebounded in off the keeper.Zac Geldard added a third when again he forced home from close range during more GHR pressure to leave the  score 3-0.In truth the scoreline did not reflect GHR's superiority,on another day with better finishing and a bit more luck in front of goal the scoreline could easily have been doubled.If the side is to maintain it's promotion challenge we are going to have to make better decisions in and around the box and be a bit more clinical with our finishing or else one day it will end up costing us vital points.Man of the match was midfielder Cameron Grice.


under 10s v Oswaldtwistle Rangers away 25/01/09 

GHR under 10s tasted defeat in a league game for the first time this season as they went down to a 1-0 defeat against in form Oswaltwistle Rangers.GHR kicked off against the wind and were soon on top Rangers only threatening from the long kicks by their keeper which were landing in the GHR defensive third.Despite some good approach play and several corners GHR struggled to break down a stubborn defence and an in form keeper.The second half continued much the same with both defences playing well and keeping out both sets of forwards who were finding it tough going.One goal looked like it was going to settle this and sure enough a long kick forward turned the GHR defence and Ranger's centre forward latched onto it to score low to Dec Dodgeon's left,a fine finish.The league leaders threw everything at the home side in an attempt to preserve their unbeaten record but somehow you just knew that no matter what they were not going to score and when GHR did get anything on target the Ranger's keeper was in the way.And so the proud unbeaten record has come to an end.Cheer up lads ,let's start another run and keep it going until the end of the season,you can do it.Harry Swiatczak was named man of the match.


Under 10sv Mill Hill Blue .Memorial Park 18/01/09

This second versus third clash was switched to Memorial Park because of a waterlogged pitch at Lyndon House.GHR took an early lead when a scramble ensued after a corner from the left hand side and Zac Geldard took advantage and scored from close range.A second quickly followed when after some slick passing midfielder Callum Donohue found the far corner with a cool finish.Mill Hill were stunned but fought back forcing GHR keeper Dec Dodgeon to make a fine save.GHR scored a third when a sweeping move led to Zac Geldard scoring his second after fine work from Nathan Cox and Callum Donohue.To their credit Mill Hill fought back and scored 2 quick goals to make the half time score 3-2.It was all to play for in the second half and GHR had to defend with great determination at times as Mill Hill pressed for the equaliser.To their credit GHR rode the storm and regained control of the game forcing a series of corners,  which led to  Zac Geldard completing his hat trick to make the score 4-2.GHR were now in control and looking well organised.Mill Hill forced a couple of late corners but were unable to break down a stubborn GHR defence.This win took GHR back to the top of the league but we will need to continue the form of the last two games if we are to stay there.Hat trick hero Zac Geldard was named as man of the match.

under 10s v Huncoat Badgers away 04/01/09

The eagerly anticipated clash between the leagues top two was given the go ahead despite icy conditions at Accrington C.C.Huncoat had most of the early pressure using their tricky wingers to stretch the GHR defence.It was no surprise when they took the lead midway through the first half when a low shot gave keeper Dec.Dodgeon no chance.GHR fought back forcing a series of corners,but went in at half-time 1-0 down.In the second half GHR stepped up a gear,defenders Blake Barrett and Caleb Cook kept things tight at the back as a reshuffled midfield allowed Nathan Cox and Callum Donohue to take control of the game.A deserved equaliser came when a long ball from keeper Dec Dodgeon left striker Zac Geldard in a chase with a Huncoat defender,Zac bravely got there first and coolly lobbed the keeper to level the scores. Both sides pressed for the winner,but a draw was a fair result in an entertaining game played in difficult conditions.Both teams remain undefeated  with GHR a point clear at the top with a game in hand.Defender Blake Barrett was named as man of the match.If we are to win this league this season the standard set in the second half of this game must be maintained.


Under 10s v Huncoat Allstars away 14/12/08

GHR Under 10s struggled to break down a stubborn Huncoat defence when they returned to action after a 3 week layoff. The Huncoat keeper was in great form as he kept the home side in the game. GHR certainly looked a little rusty after their enforced break as their normal fluency seemed to have deserted them. The deadlock was finally broken when Callum Donohue played Cameron in down the right hand side who in turn crossed for Nathan Cox to control and fire in a low shot from the edge of the box, to give the league leaders a 1-0 lead .The home team fought back and when the GHR defence found themselves outnumbered they equalised to make the half time score 1-1. The second half continued in a similar manner with chances created by GHR but not taken. There must have been 6 or 7 corners from GHRs right hand side delivered invitingly into the box but nobody was able to get on the end of them. GHR eventually regained the lead when Nathan Cox fired home from inside the box after further pressure to make the score 2-1.After that it was pretty much end to end with corners forced by either side. Huncoat had a final flurry but the GHR defence held firm as the league leaders kept their 100% record intact. Nathan Cox was named as man of the match.

GHR under10sv Clitheroe Wolves Yellow at Lyndon House 9/11/08

GHR under 10s faced Clitheroe Wolves Yellow for the second week running. The game was to be played at

Lyndon House but was in doubt because of heavy overnight rain. The game was given the go ahead at the last minute. GHR took the game to Clitheroe and soon had them under pressure with their quick incisive passing. The away side held firm until midway through the first half when a corner from the left hand side was headed home by Callum Donohue. A second goal quickly followed when a Nathan Cox shot squirmed under the keeper,despite further attacking by GHR the half time score remained 2-0.

The start of the second half followed much the same pattern with Clitheroe restricted to a couple of long range efforts comfortably dealt with by GHR keeper Dec Dodgeon. GHR scored a third through striker Zac Geldard after a fine through ball from Nathan Cox. Thinking the game was won GHR seemed to take their foot off the pedal which allowed Clitheroe back into the game. A sloppy goal was conceded after a poor clearance from the back,and a second followed after a free kick was conceded just outside the box.It was now game on as Clitheroe pressed for an equaliser.GHR manager Joe Swiatczak made a double substitution to bolster the midfield and the plan worked as the subs combined to score GHRs crucial fourth goal as Nathan Cox played in Callum Donohue who dropped his shoulder went past a defender and coolly found the corner of the net.GHR keeper Dec Dodgeon missed a last minute penalty after a defender had handled in the box. That was to be the last kick of the game as GHR ran out 4-2 winners.Striker Zac Geldard was named as man of the match.

GHR under 10s v Blackburn Eagles away 19/10/08

League leaders GHR continued their fine form against Blackburn Eagles,the game had a slow start with both sides struggling to get going.GHR broke the deadlock with a superb finish from striker Zac Geldard who ran onto the ball and beat the keeper with a powerful finish,he quickly followed this with his second goal when he chipped the keeper as he came out.He completed a first half hat trick with a cool finish latching onto a fine through ball from Callum Hesketh.Midfielder Callum Hesketh hit the crossbar with a great effort just before half time.Blackburn Eagles fought back at the start of the second half but found the GHR defence in good form.They pulled a goal back to make it 3-1,but Nathan Cox finished well to give the leaders some breathing space.For the remaining ten minutes GHR were well on top and with a bit more composure in and around the box could easily have added to their score,the best effort being an angled snap shot from Callum Donohue which was well saved by the Eagles keeper.This win made it six wins out of six for GHR but with some tough games coming up the lads will have to up their game to keep this run going.Man of the match was awarded to striker Zac Geldard.

v Blackburn Eagles ,cup first round,12/10/08,Lyndon House.

GHR made it through to the second round of the cup at the expense of Blackburn Eagles but it took them until midway through the first half to get their passing game into gear.A short corner move led to the first goal with in form Nathan Cox firing home from an angle just inside the box.The second goal quickly followed again Cox finishing well from close range.GHR were in control now and went in at half time well on top.The second half began with GHR pressing to get that all important third goal which would surely clinch the tie.When it came it was in peculiar fashion.The Eagles keeper kicked out of his hands and Nathan Cox showed great awareness by attempting to volley the ball back into an empty net,his speculative effort was going wide but the goalie in his efforts to get back somehow managed to palm the ball into his own net.GHR were pouring forward now in numbers and were peppering the Eagles goal,two free kicks from Callum Donohue went just over,a Callum Hesketh shot hit the post and a couple more attempts were blocked by defenders.Harry Swiatzcak added a fourth with a fine finish from inside the box.The visitors pulled a goal back with about five minutes remaining and could have had another but for a fine tackle from goalie Dec Dodgeon.A cool finish from striker Zac Geldard made it 5-1 just before the end.A decent performance from GHR who knocked the ball around well at times and got bodies forward to support the centre forward.Harry Swiatzcak was named as man of the match.

v Belthorn away 05/10/08

GHR under 10s made it 5 wins out of 5 as they went to the top of the league with a 4-0 win away to Belthorn at Everton playing fields.All the goals were scored by in form midfielder Nathan Cox and Blake Barrett was named as man of the match.

v Ossy Rangers 28/09/08 Lyndon House

GHR under 10s took on league leaders Ossy Rangers starting out with their now favoured 2-3-1 formation.GHR quickly settled and were passing the ball about with centre forward Zac Geldard holding the ball up well allowing the midfielders to get forward.GHR took the lead when the ball broke for Nathan Cox who scored from close range.The previously unbeaten league leaders were being given the runaround and a second goal followed when a slick passing move between Nathan Cox and Zac Geldard ended with Cox scoring his second.Callum Donohue had a close range effort tipped onto the bar by the Ossy keeper before Nathan Cox completed his hat trick with another fine finish.The second half continued in the same manner but GHR struggled to put their chances away.Joel Davies made it 4-0 with a deflected effort,with the game all but won GHR made a few changes which seemed to unsettle the side.This allowed the visitors to get back in the game,they began to get players forward and 2 goals in the last 5 minutes took the edge of an otherwise very good performance.The final score was 4-2 to GHR making it maximum points from the first 4 games,hat trick hero Nathan Cox was named as man of the match.

v MILL HILL BLUE.21/09/08


GHR under 10s faced their toughest test so far away to undefeated Mill Hill Blue at Everton playing fields.GHR had the advantage of the slope in the first half and after early pressure took the lead when Nathan Cox scored from close range after a scramble in the goal mouth.Mill Hill hit back and put GHR under pressure forcing goalie Dec Dodgeon to make some fine saves.It was no surprise when the equaliser came five minutes later.A couple of substitutions were made by GHR to try to bolster the defence,the change quickly paid off when a Callum Hesketh shot found the corner of the net after a slight deflection to make the half time score 2-1 to GHR.The second half was end to end with defences very much on top,Joel Davies fired wide after a good run as GHR moved the ball well down the right hand side of the pitch.Midfielder Nathan Cox sealed the points for GHR after a fine run and shot.GHR were on top now and forced a series of corners from the right hand side which were expertly delivered into the box by Callum Donohue that were just crying out for someone to get their head on them.The final score was 3-1 to GHR making it three wins out of three,a good team performance when for the first time this season the defence was put under any sort of pressure.Centre forward Zac Geldard was named as man of the match.


v Mellor /Memorial Park.14/09/08


GHR under 10s made it two wins out of two with a narrow victory over Mellor at Memorial Park.The 2-1 scoreline flattered the visitors who were kept in the game by some last ditch defending and an outstanding performance by their goalkeeper,but for whom the scoreline would surely have been in double figures.Nathan Cox opened the scoring for GHR when he beat his man on the edge of the box and found the back of the net with a fine shot.Despite some good approach play the GHR forwards were struggling to find the back of the net.As so often happens in football the team who had been under the cosh for virtually all of the game equalised with their second shot of the game.GHR now attacked with more urgency trying desparately to get the win they deserved,but Mellor now had something to hold onto,it was like The Alamo,the Mellor keeper appeared to be unbeatable.But with about 3 minutes to go the deadlock was broken,Callum Donohue collected a pass from Nathan Cox dummied the defender on the edge of the box and curled a right foot shot into the far corner,a goal fit to win any game.All in all not a bad performance more a frustrating one,the lads probably need to concentrate a little bit more on their finishing skills,to put away the chances that are being created.Callum Donohue was named as man of the match.


v Darwen Rangers Boys 11/09/08


GHR under 10s kicked off their season with a Thursday night fixture away to Darwen Rangers.After a fairly even start with defences on top GHR began to get going,after forcing a series of corners GHR opened the scoring when Nathan Cox fired home after Joel Davies had an effort cleared off the line.GHR were playing some decent passing football working the ball out from the back through into midfield and it was no surprise when Zac Geldard fired home five minutes later.Darwen had a spell of pressure leading up to half time but found GHR keeper Dec Dodgeon in fine form.The game opened up a bit more in the second half as GHR began to get their passing game together,Harry Swiatczak a half time substitute was making some fine runs up front dragging the Darwen defenders all over the place.GHR added a third when Callum Donohue fired a left foot shot home after a Nathan Cox corner had the defence in disarray.GHR were on top and should have added to their score but did not do so until more or less the last kick of the game when Callum Donohue buried a free kick from outside of the box to leave the score 4-0 to GHR.A satisfactory start for the team who are looking to improve on last seasons third place finish.Callum Donohue was named as man of the match.