Under 9s Sunday 

v Clitheroe yellow away 16/03/08

GHR under 9s played their last game of the season against Clitheroe in windy conditions at Highmoor playing fields.Not for the first time this season GHRs small squad meant that they started the game with only six players,illness and travel problems being the cause.Clitheroe made their man advantage count racing into a two goal lead but not before Zac Geldard had hit the crossbar for GHR.The six men fought back forcing a series of corners and eventually Nathan Cox made it 2-1 when he forced the ball home from close range.Clitheroe restored their two goal advantage when GHR lost possession in the last third of the pitch.Reinforcements arrived five minutes before half time for GHR to make the numbers even.GHR immediately made it 3-2 when a Callum Donohue free kick was touched in by Zac Geldard.The second half began with the away side on top in search of an equaliser,they did not have to wait long when good work down the left hand side by Harry Swiatzak led to another goal by Zac Geldard.The game was now end to end with both sides looking for the winner,Clitheroe were unlucky when they hit the post and GHR had the home defence working overtime.Neither side was able to grab a winner which left the final score 3-3,a fair result in a game neither side deserved to lose.Once again GHRs team spirit came to the fore as they gained another point to finish the season in a very creditable third place.Callum Donohue was named as man of the match.     

under 9s v Mellor away 08/03/08

The game was played under difficult conditions,a strong wind and heavy pitch made for a very scrappy affair.GHR due to illness and unavailability started the game with only six players.It was hard to tell that GHR were a man short as they took the game to Mellor at every opportunity and played the majority of the first half in Mellors half.It  was no surprise when GHR took the lead through Zac Geldard to make the half time score 1-0.The second half followed a very similar pattern,GHR were creating chances but were not taking them.The home side gained encouragement from this and were starting to get into the game.The six men dug deep and upped their game for the last 15 minutes increasing their lead through Harry Swiatzak and a fine solo effort from Caleb Cook,his first goal for the team.Mellor to their credit did not give up and scored a late consolation to leave the final score 3-1 to GHR.A fine effort from six man GHR whose eight man squad continue to defy the odds.Man of the Match was striker Zac Geldard.

v Langho 02/03/08

GHR under 9s bowed out of the cup in the quarter final  to a strong Langho side.The tie was played in windy conditions at Memorial Park.GHR had the wind at their backs in the first half and had the league leaders on the back foot most of the time forcing several corners,but a resolute defence kept the home side out.Langho took the lead against the run of play when a shot was saved by keeper Dec Dodgeon but fell to a Langho forward who made no mistake to make the half-time score 1-0 to the visitors. Playing with the wind in the second half Langho upped their game and put the GHR defence under a lot of pressure,some good play and a bit of luck contributed to 3 quick goals to put the game out of GHRs reach, but to their credit the boys did not buckle and got their game going again,putting Langho under pressure with another series of corners.Langho showed their quality by managing to hold out for the rest of the game and keep a clean sheet when most sides would surely have conceded under the GHR pressure.The final score was 4-0 to the away side who now move into the semi-finals,GHR gave it everything and on another day with the rub of the green may have won the game.Blake Barrett was named as man of the match.  


v Accrington Stanley Whites 24/02/08

GHR under 9s guaranteed a third place finish with a convincing win over Accrington Stanley whites.The match was played at Everton playing fields in wet and windy conditions.After a fairly quiet start Nathan Cox opened the scoring for GHR with a close range effort following a corner.GHR were on top now and forced a succession of corners,further goals followed before half time 2 from Zac Gelderd,one a superb shot on the turn which flew into the corner and another from substitute Blake Barnett after a superb through ball from Nathan Cox.GHR picked up the pace after the break playing some very good football.A further 6 goals were added through Blake Barnett 3,one for

Nathan Cox and 2 more for centre forward Zac Gelderd one of which was the goal of the game.A ball from the back found Blake Barnett who in turn played it through to Zac Gelderd who took it in his stride before unleashing a shot which flew into the roof of the net.The home side did manage to score 2 goals in the second half but the result was never in doubt GHR running out 10-2 winners.Zac Gelderd was awarded man of the match but in truth it could have been awarded to any member of the team in what was the best performance of the season so far.  

v Belthorn at Lyndon House 10/02/08

GHR remained in third place in the table after this game against Belthorn.After recent postponed games this was only the teams second fixture this year.GHR struggled to get into any sort of rhythm as Belthorn offered stubborn resistance.GHR finally took the lead shortly before half time when a Nathan Cox shot was turned into his own net by a Belthorn defender. The second half started in a very similar fashion and it took a Belthorn equaliser( another o.g.) to spark the game into life.GHR began to push forward more with Belthorn playing more on the break.A fine move down the left hand side led to Zac Geldard tapping in to give GHR the lead. The home side were now playing with more confidence and two further goals were added by midfielder Nathan Cox to give GHR a 4-1 win.Callum Donohue was named as man of the match.

 v AKZO GREEN away 6/01/08

GHR under 9s began 2008 in style with a win over the bottom side Akzo Green at Everton playing fields.Callum Hesketh opened the scoring with a shot from the edge of the box which gave the keeper no chance.Callum Donohue scored the second when he ran through from his own half before slotting past the keeper.Zac Gelderd scored from close range to make it 3-0 at half-time,the Akzo keeper was having a fine game and but for him the score would have been more.GHR continued to attack in the second half and were getting players forward in numbers.The boys were playing with a lot of confidence now and were putting some neat passing moves together.5 more goals were added by Nathan Cox 1,and 2 each for Cal Hesketh and Zac Gelderd both completing hat tricks.Akzo grabbed a late consolation from a corner,leaving the final score 8-1 to GHR.Callum Hesketh was named as man of the match.

v Langho 2/12/07 home

The game was switched to Memorial Park because of the heavy rain of the previous few days.GHR started well taking the game to league leaders Langho who have not dropped a point so far this season.GHR deservedly took the lead through skipper Blake Barnett when pressure on the Langho goal finally paid off.Langho fought back and equalised ten minutes before half time.GHR continued to attack and were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Langho penalty area,Callum Hesketh rolled the ball to Blake Barnett who hit a low shot into the corner of the net to give GHR a deserved half time lead.The second half was more even with Langho equalising with about 15 mins to go.Langho were now on top and playing like league leaders,the GHR defence was having to work overtime,the pressure told and Langho scored 2 quick goals to take control of the game.GHR fought back and penned the leaders in their own half for the remaining 5 minutes but could not find the net,Langho running out 4-2 winners.A fine performance from the under 9s who continue to improve as the season progresses.Man of the match was awarded to Zac Geldard.

v Lammack away 25/11/07

GHRs eight game unbeaten run came to an end at the hands of second placed Lammack at Old Blacks playing fields .In a very even game GHR took a first half lead through leading scorer Zac Gelderd after a scramble in the penalty area. The home side fought back and equalised just before half-time to set up a tense second half.The home side began to get on top at the start of the half and GHR had to defend in numbers. A Callum Donohue freekick was cleared off the line onto the post as GHR fought their way back into the game.Both teams were looking for the winner but it was Lammack who got it with about 5 minutes to go when a shot from outside of the box cannoned off keeper Dec.Dodgeon into the path of a Lammack forward who made no mistake. There was still time for GHR to pile on the pressure in search of an equaliser forcing a series of corners and having another free kick cleared off the line.A speculative shot from Caleb Cook bounced off the crossbar but it was not to be GHRs day as they went down to a 2-1 defeat. Nevertheless a good performance in a game where a draw would probably have been a fairer result.

v Clitheroe Wolves Yellow cup 2nd round 18/11/07.Lyndon House.

GHR made it through to the quarter finals of the cup with a hard fought victory against Clitheroe Wolves.After a fairly even 15 minutes GHR took the lead when Callum Donohue lashed home a shot from the edge of the box following a corner.Clitheroe fought back and equalised with a breakaway goal about 5 minutes before half time.The game really warmed up after the break as GHR began to get on top.Good work on the left by Callum Hesketh led to GHR taking the lead when he beat 3 men and crossed for Zac Gelderd to force home.Once again the visitors fought back and equalised after a mass scramble in the GHR penalty area.It was anybodys game now as the game swung from one end to the other.Dec Dodgeon the GHR keeper made a crucial save to keep the game level.GHR regained the lead with about 10 minutes to go when a Callum Donohue free kick was expertly headed in by Nathan Cox,Clitheroe continued to press but GHR were looking dangerous on the break.GHR finally wrapped the game up when Zac Gelderd scored his second with a minute to go making the final score 4-2.Callum Hesketh was deservedly named as man of the match.


v Huncoat Badgers.Lyndon House 11/11/07

GHR defeated Huncoat for the second week running as believe it or not the season moved past its halfway point.Unlike last week GHR were made to fight all the way by a very determined Huncoat side.The home defence was under constant pressure as Huncoat dominated for long periods of the first half,but it was GHR who took the lead when Callum Hesketh scored with a shot from outside the box.The lead was doubled when Nathan Cox was on hand to force home following a corner.The visitors fought back and deservedly pulled a goal back just before half time.The second half followed a similar pattern with Huncoat on top for long periods,GHR keeper Declan Dodgeon was having a fine game and kept the Huncoat strikers at bay with a series of fine saves.GHR kept it tight at the back and had several chances to put the game beyond Huncoats reach but they failed to take them.An entertaining game ended 2-1 to GHR.The previous week against the same opposition GHR footballed their way to win the points,to get the points this week they had to fight all the way to stretch their unbeaten run to seven games,a fine effort from all the lads.Goalkeeper Declan Dodgeon was deservedly named as man of the match.

v Huncoat Badgers 4/11/07

GHR under 9s stretched their unbeaten run to six games with an impressive display against Huncoat.The game was played at Accrington cricket ground and after. a fairly even start GHR took the lead,the ball was worked from defence to attack and finished off by Harry Swiatzak,beating the keeper low to his right.GHR really had their tails up,and on a good surface were starting to pass the ball around.Striker Harry Swiatzak was having a great game and added another 3 goals to make it 4-0 at the break.The second half followed a similar pattern with GHR dominant,winning nearly all the 50/50 balls and quickly turning defence into attack with some neat passing.Further goals were scored by Harry Swiatzak(his fifth),Nathan Cox and Zac Gelderd.Huncoat scored a late consolation to make the final score 7-1.Nathan Cox was named as man of the match.

v Clitheroe Wolves yellow Sunday October 21st.

After a run of four successive wins GHR had to be content with a share of the spoils against a spirited Clitheroe side at Lyndon House. The visitors raced into a 2 goal lead as the home side struggled to get to grips with the Clitheroe midfield and forwards.GHR pulled a goal back late in the first half to go in at the interval 2-1 down.The half time team talk seemed to do the trick as GHR went through the gears to go 3-2 ahead,a mix up in the home penalty area allowed Clitheroe to pull level again only for GHR to go up the other end and make it 4-3.The home side had chances to put the game out of Clitheroes reach but they were  not taken and a gutsy performance from the visiting side was rewarded with a late equaliser to make the final score 4-4.Even though the game was drawn there were still positives to take from the game with some good passing and movement off the ball shown by the players.Goalscorers were Zac Geldard 2 and Nathan Cox 2.Man of the match was awarded to Zac Geldard.

v Belthorn October 7th.

GHR under 9s notched up their 4TH successive victory away against Belthorn.Despite going behind to an early goal GHR fought back to go in at half time with a 4-1 lead, Goalscorers were Nathan Cox 2,Zac Geldard 1 and a well taken free kick by Callum Hesketh.GHR scored the goal of the game early in the second half,a ball from the back by Callum Donohue found Nathan Cox who beat his man and whipped in a cross for Zac Geldard to beat the keeper at his near post.Zac Geldard completed his 4th consecutive hat trick midway through the half as GHR ran out comfortable 6-1 winners.Overall a good solid team performance.man of the match was awarded to Zac Geldard.

v Akzo Green Sunday Sept.30th

GHR gained their 3rd consecutive victory with a resounding 9-0 win over Akzo Green at Lyndon House.The first goal did not come until midway through the first half but after that it was pretty much one way traffic,the half time score was 3-0.GHR piled on the pressure in the second half,playing some neat passing football a further 6 goals were added without reply. Goalscorers were Nathan Cox 5,Zac Geldard 3,a hatrick for the 3rd game running,and Harry Swiatzak 1.Man of the match was awarded to Zac Geldard.

v Accrington Stanley Whites.Sunday 23/9/07

Great Harwood produced a fine team performance to defeat the league leaders at Lyndon House.Accrington raced into a two goal lead and but for a fine save from keeper Declan Dodgeon it would have been 3-0.Callum Donohue pulled one back when he scored direct from a corner. From the next corner GHR equalised through a rare Zac Geldard header.GHR too the lead just before half time as Blake Barnett fired in a fierce shot from the edge of the box. GHR really got a grip on the game in the second half with some determined tackling and some neat passing football. Further goals were scored by Nathan Cox and Zac Geldard 2 to complete a hat trick for the second game running. GHR ran out deserved 6-2 winners, hopefully they can carry this form into next weeks game and continue to play with the same confidence. Callum Donohue was named as man of the match.